On 1/16/07, chhenning <chhenning / gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all, this is the first time I'm posting to this list or all Ruby on
> Rails lists, at all. If I'm wrong here please let me know where the
> best place is to put my question.

There is a google group specifically for Rails, so you might get
better help there.
> I'm doing the authentication example in the new Agile Development with
> Rails book. For whatever reason the user login page doesn't work. The
> login.rhtml looks like this:
>
> <!--
>  ! Excerpted from "Agile Web Development with Rails, 2nd Ed."
>  ! We make no guarantees that this code is fit for any purpose.
>  ! Visit http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/rails2 for more book
> information.
> -->
>   <fieldset>
>     <legend>Please Log In</legend>
>
>     <% form_tag do %>
>         <label for="name">Name:</label>
>         <%= text_field_tag :name, params[:name] %>

>         <label for="password">Password:</label>
>         <%= password_field_tag :password, params[:password] %>

>         <%= submit_tag "Login" %>
>     <% end %>
>   </fieldset>
>
> But when trying to display this site there aren't any input fields.
> Seems to me the "form_tag do" does produce any html code. My Firefox
> browser simply shows the following page source.

There is a new way to do this s seen here:
http://www.loudthinking.com/arc/000601.html

and old way seen here:
http://api.rubyonrails.com/classes/ActionView/Helpers/FormTagHelper.html#M000497

My action pack 1.12.5 seems to support just the old one.
api.rubyonrails.com knows nothing about the new one. Maybe this works
in development version (would be 1.2) only

So either change your script to use the old form, or install egderails
(I won't help you with this, I guess it involves getting rails
directly from SVN)

J.