------art_46776_19059619.1168894085893

On 1/14/07, Alex Young <alex / blackkettle.org> wrote:

> James Britt wrote:
> > Prashant Deva wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>  I am hosting a couple of asp.net sites on IIS on my server.
> >>
> >> Now I need to host another site in ruby on the same machine. For this I
> >> guess i will need to run the webrick server.
> >
> > No.  There are several options for hosting Ruby code.  Plain CGI or
> > FastCGI + [apache|lighhtp], or Mongrel, perhaps.
> >
> > Or IIS.  It can server Ruby up as CGI, I believe.
> >
> > There's also ActiveScriptRuby:
> >
> >  http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-PaloAlto/9251/ruby/index.html
> >
> > which could maybe be used as an ASP language.
> >

> How's this for an idea:  run Mongrel on port 80, and proxy requests that
> aren't for the Ruby site to IIS on another port?  I presume IIS can't be
> configured to proxy the same way that Apache can, so why not do it the
> other way around?

It is not terribly difficult to setup mod_proxy or mod_proxy_balancer to
send specific requests to IIS.  There are lots of guides for configuring
mongrel with apache and mod_proxy, just swap out the idea of the mongrel
process and replace with IIS ip address.

You can do it on a host name basis with virtual hosts, or you could do some
mod_rewrite magic and have IIS only serve .asp* requests.

--
> Alex

HTH,
Michael Guterl