On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 09:35 +0900, Bill McNeill wrote:
> My version of Ruby on Red Hat Linux is missing mkmf.rb.
>
> $ irb
> irb(main):001:0> require 'mkmf'
> LoadError: no such file to load -- mkmf
>         from (irb):1:in `require'
>         from (irb):1
>
> $ ls /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/mkmf.rb
> ls: /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/mkmf.rb: No such file or directory
>
> I was able to find reference to a similar bug in Ubuntu where the fix
> was to install a ruby-dev package, but I don't think that would apply
> to a Linux distribution.

Isn't Ubuntu a Linux Distro?

> Is mkmf.rb a post-1.8.2 file, or is this a bug?
>
> What's the best fix?
>
> Thanks.

Which version of RH are you using, and which packaging method are you
using to install?

Here's a partial of how Fedora breaks up it's RPM's
Being that RH and FC are broken from the same branch, this might give
you a clue of which packages you need to install.

ruby.i386
ruby-devel.i386
ruby-docs.i386
ruby-irb.i386
ruby-libs.i386
ruby-mode.i386
ruby-rdoc.i386
ruby-ri.i386

I wouldn't worry about filing a bug on this.  They made an architectural
decision to  proceed this way on purpose.  They are aware of it being
broken up into several units, and a bug report would just be closed out
as not a bug.

If you personally don't like it that way, then I would agree with
building from source, but a simple package install should get you going.

Matt