I started to build a gui toolkit on top of SDL and ran into several
show-stoppers.  The one I remember is that SDL is ignorant about setting or
reading the window position.  Also only one window per process is supported.

-----Original Message-----
From: Eli Green [mailto:eli.green / codedogs.ca]
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2001 12:35 PM
To: ruby-talk ML
Subject: [ruby-talk:23339] Re: [ANN] RubyInRubyParser 0.1-pre-alpha

I would suggest that the easiest way to see this happen is to leverage off
the
work of others: LibSDL.

http://www.libsdl.org/

It is licensed as LGPL, making it viable for commercial projects. In fact,
SDL
was used by Loki Games (who created it in the first place) to port many many
games to Linux -- commercial games.

There's even OpenGL bindings.

There are already some bindings to libSDL under Ruby.

Ruby/SDL is a pretty straight one-to-one mapping mechanism.
http://www.kmc.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~ohai/index.en.html

RUDL is an attempt to make SDL more Rubyesque (Rubytacular? Rubyonic?)
http://froukepc.dhs.org/rudl/index.html

LibSDL is fast, light and pretty dang easy to work with. Has ports to
X11, Win32, BeOS, MacOS (Classic ... don't know about X).

--
Eli Green
Codedogs