On Fri, 26 Oct 2001, markus liedl wrote:
> Eli:
> > I'd be willing to take a stab at doing something like this using SDL or
> > some
> > other platform-neutral framebuffer lib. Anybody else interested?
>
> I've never seen X11 server for MS windows, but there are some.
> Acting as an X11 client, makes your application separted of all kind of
> pixle drawing.

You are confusing the protocol with the implementation.  X11 is a
protocol for a certain set of primitives.  In this protocol is
transparency as to whether primitives are local or remote.  The
implementation can be more complex -- in local drawing, most X11 servers
avoid any kind of overhead and get bits to the screen in the fastest
possible way.

Indeed, I've seen stats indicating that Quake3 performs faster on
Linux/X11 than Win32 on the same hardware.  Drivers on Linux, obviously,
can be a crutch, but the X11 protocol need not be a burden.

> Tell me why you think this would be a bader solution!

Does 'bader' mean 'besser' or 'schlimmer'?

I can't tell which side of this debate you are on.  Can you clarify?

> Give me an english lesson: 'take a stab'
> May that mean, that you just want to examine things and don't care about the
> result?

It means to attempt something, with connotations of the attempt being a
rough initial prototype rather than a cautious, planned attempt.

Also seen as:
'take a shot'
'be my guest'
'Gun. Foot. Go ahead.'