> having a native window with a canvas which Ruby draws on using the BitBlt
> operation.  From there we can think about a GUI toolkit like Squeak's, and
> other things like that.

matju, and experiences with Java Swing will tell you that this solution is
not fast, and will never be. I was surprised, but Swings slowness does not
depend on the hardware it runs one, it's just slow. (I have impressions from
using Swing on a k6-2 350,  P3 650, athlon 1.4)

matju's ideas say: get compatibility by the X11 protocol ( which may not be
what windows-guys like).

It's waste of time to copy Java Swing for Ruby.

Surely, it's a nice occassion for you to learn how a certain chip on your
graphic card is doing BitBlts, but for serious work, let it do this chip.

markus