On 1/10/07, Eric Hodel <drbrain / segment7.net> wrote:

> You fixed this the wrong way.  The problem is in RubyGems not
> allowing you the ability to distinguish between run-time dependencies
> and build-time dependencies.

I'm having a hard time with terminology.

If you're deploying a pure ruby gem, then a build-time requirement
which is not a run-time requirement is not a dependency, right?

That is, if build-time does not include any time after the gem is
downloaded to my client box, then stuff you (the maintainer of the
gem) need at build time should not be a dependency in the gem sense.

So "build-time dependencies" should exist in the gem sense only when a
gem requires compilation, I think. If I am mistaken, then the phrase
"build-time dependencies" has some meaning to you which is opaque to
me.

For clarity, I will observe that the gem process has more than build-
and run- time...

Developer-build-time
Download-time
Deploy-time