Ryan Davis schrieb:
> On Jan 9, 2007, at 4:29 AM, Pit Capitain wrote:
>> Chad, why does tattle depend on the hoe and rubyforge gems?
>
> Uh... because hoe is the single most awesome thing for ruby project
> development in the last 6 years? It is used in 5% of all rubygems.
> Get over it.

Plus this answer to Ben:

> It sounds like you're complaining simply because it offends your
> sensibilities. If you have a problem with the way gems does
> dependencies, then file a bug with rubygems and/or offer them a well
>  tested patch. Otherwise, drop it as it doesn't matter one bit.

And:

> ... Without hoe as a dependency, the software packaged in a hoe-based
> gem doesn't work 100%.  But... you're a smart guy. You knew that.

Ho, ho, ho, calm down, Ryan, I didn't want to step on your toes or your
"most awesome" project.

I haven't used hoe yet. From the little I remember of the announcements,
it looked to me like a tool for the gem developer, not for the gem user.
That's why I asked the question, just out of interest. Why did you think
I was complaining? All I needed was a little "gem uninstall hoe" after
running tattle. This is a small price to pay compared to all the work
the rubygems people are doing. No problem for me.

After all the posts in this thread I still haven't got a clear answer to
my original question yet. (So much for the signal to noise ratio.)

Eric wrote that hoe is necessary to be able to say "rake test", and that
"gem install -t" doesn't work reliably. (BTW: I'm sure you've given him
the same advice you gave Ben, namely to file a bug with rubygems, didn't
you?) I'm not sure where I, as a tattle user, should execute "rake
test", but I assume it is in the installation directory of the tattle
gem. But in this directory I can also simply enter "testrb test" to run
all the tattle tests. So it seems hoe is of not much use in this case.

You wrote that a gem developed with hoe needs hoe at runtime to work
100%. I did a little test:

   gem install tattle (plus hoe, plus rubyforge)
   remove the hoe dependency from the tattle gemspec
   gem uninstall hoe
   gem uninstall rubyforge
   run tattle unit tests (with "testrb test")
   run tattle report
   run tattle

It seems all is working well, even without hoe. So I'm still curious
what services hoe offers to gems at runtime.

> ... Without hoe as a dependency, the software packaged in a hoe-based
> gem doesn't work 100%.  But... you're a smart guy. You knew that.

Seems I'm not. I'm still not knowing it.

Regards,
Pit