On Wed, Jan 10, 2007, Eric Hodel wrote:
> >Makes sense, didn't think about that.  Still, though, gem install -t
> >does the same thing and doesn't require dependencies.
>
> This is not guaranteed to work.  Currently gems is very lax in its
> installation and doesn't rollback when you cancel on a dependency.  In
> the future it may not.

Interesting, didn't know that.  It's always worked where I've used it.

> >Rake is useful for more than just gem deployment.
>
> Only if you are also developing.  If you're just using libraries, it
> is useless.

Not true.  I need rake to work with Rails, even though I'm not doing any
development on the Rails libraries.  If it were packaged with Hoe, I'd
need to install hoe, but I'd never actually use the Hoe libraries again.

> >I shouldn't need to install the rubyforge gem to install someone
> >else's library, but if they packaged it with hoe, I'm forced to.
> >This doesn't make sense.
>
> Same for rake, but nobody complains.

Not true at all:

commercial ~/projects/personal/plist > rake gem
(in /Users/bbleything/projects/personal/plist)
mkdir -p pkg
  Successfully built RubyGem
  Name: plist
  Version: 3.0.0
  File: plist-3.0.0.gem
mv plist-3.0.0.gem pkg/plist-3.0.0.gem

commercial ~/projects/personal/plist > sudo gem uninstall rake
You have requested to uninstall the gem:
        rake-0.7.1
hoe-1.1.6 depends on [rake (> 0.0.0)]
gem_plugin-0.2.1 depends on [rake (>= 0.7)]
rails-1.1.6 depends on [rake (>= 0.7.1)]
If you remove this gems, one or more dependencies will not be met.
Continue with Uninstall? [Yn]  y
Successfully uninstalled rake version 0.7.1
Remove executables and scripts for
'rake' in addition to the gem? [Yn]  y
Removing rake

commercial ~...personal/plist/pkg > cd pkg
commercial ~...personal/plist/pkg > ls
plist-3.0.0.gem

commercial ~...personal/plist/pkg > sudo gem install plist-3.0.0.gem
Successfully installed plist, version 3.0.0
Installing ri documentation for plist-3.0.0...
Installing RDoc documentation for plist-3.0.0...

Ben