> Even so, there's the bureaucracy to deal with. Even if I could let
> some people go (hypothetically! In case anyone of my team is reading this,
> it's hypothetically! :) there'd be no way to replace these people
> before Q3 2002.

Yeah, sometimes you must cope with people who are, uhm, less than stellar, in
order to get a product out. You assign them to all the simple drudge tasks
that even a moron should be able to do, and cross your fingers that they
won't screw it up, because it can take 6 months to get a good replacement (as
vs yet another less-than-stellar person) on board. If they're not capable of
simple drudge tasks, THEN you fire them, but (shrug) if they can contribute
SOMETHING, that's better than having nobody at all.

If it's a one-man project (i.e., *me*), even Perl works okay for me. Bigger
projects, on the other hand, choice of language and formatting conventions
can become significant. I prefer a language which gives Joe Drudge more
structure in that circumstance, because, alas, not every programmer is a
superstar, and it's not always possible to replace Joe Drudge with someone
more competent in time to deliver the product.

--
Eric Lee Green          GnuPG public key at http://badtux.org/eric/eric.gpg
           mailto:eric / badtux.org  Web: http://www.badtux.org