On 2007-01-05 18:25:03 +0100, "gregarican" <greg.kujawa / gmail.com> said:

> Good point. All of it makes for good mental exercise and ultimately
> more effective and efficient development. Rather than run something
> through a bunch of conditionals, just pass along an overridden message
> like 'processYourself' and let the object do the work. Depending on
> what the object is receiving the message it can choose its own way of
> doing things.
>
> James Edward Gray II wrote:
>> On Jan 5, 2007, at 11:10 AM, gregarican wrote:
>>
>>> Personally I like to adopt the old Smalltalk philosophy, where they
>>> don't even use case statements. Since over time these can grow long
>>> and
>>> ungainly you can take a different programming approach. It's a bit
>>> of a
>>> mind stretch depending on where you're coming from, but it is good
>>> practice. I think there's an older book called Smalltalk Best Practice
>>> Patterns that touches on this.
>>
>> It's also a "code smell" according to the classic Refactoring text:
>>
>> http://www.refactoring.com/catalog/
>> replaceConditionalWithPolymorphism.html
>>
>> James Edward Gray II

thanks a lot for the link...   I'll read taht tonight !

I have to understand how to avoid   'if.. '  and 'case..'  to check
mulitple 'submit buttons from my form...

 I have an account_controller object ..  when the  user 'submit the
form, the 'confirm' method is called, but 2 buttons can confirm
so I have to check upon the submit value... which I do
each submit button CANNOT call a different method in my object..
I understand your concerns with OO programming approach, but who can
illustrate this approach on such simple problem...

joss