> then i found this post from Guido van Rossum in 2003
>
>   http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-December/041065.html
>
> (did it ever happen?)

Yes.

> this really gets me wondering, how do Ruby's and Python's loading
> mechanisms match-up? which do you think is better?

I prefer Python's, honestly. I also like that in Perl, the convention
at least is that what you use is what the namespace is. So, if I use

use File::Copy;

Then the functions are in File::Copy::* by convention.

Mind you, you'd typically use it like

use File::Copy qw(move copy);

And just call move() or copy() directly.

In Ruby I guess that would be

use File::Copy
include File::Copy

to achieve the same?

Coming from Perl and Python, I did find Ruby's system confusing. The
poor documentation makes it even more so.

Mike
--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier / digitaltorque.ca>
--Albert Einstein