On 2007-01-04 13:07:32 +0100, Mat Schaffer <schapht / gmail.com> said:

> On Jan 4, 2007, at 6:55 AM, Josselin wrote:
>
>> On 2007-01-04 12:47:06 +0100, Josselin <josselin / wanadoo.fr> said:
>>
>>> HNYTAOY  (Dry version of ...  Happy New Year To All Of You)
>>> I am trying to get an array of email addresses from a string , as  this
>>> string is coming from an input textarea in a from, even if I  ask for a
>>> blank between each address, users will also enter  some  return
>>> characters...
>>> so I get something like :
>>> to_string  = "mister.sunnyday / acme.com\r\nmrs_applewhite / eden.com\r
>>> \njohn_doe / nowhere.com amy-millard / heavencanwait.com"
>>> I know how to use a_string.scan(" "), but here I should use a  regex..
>>> after many try .. could not find the correct one..
>>> could someone make 2007 starting on right tracks....  thanks a lot !!
>>> joss
>>
>> forgot to mention what I wwrote until now :
>>
>>> to_string.split(%r{\r\n\s*})  which gives me teh addresses  separated
>>> by  \r\n , but I missed the addresses separated by spaces
>

> I would just scan for email addresses.  I got this:
>   to_string.scan(/[A-Z0-9._%-]+@[A-Z0-9.-]+\.[A-Z]{2,4}/i)
>
>  From this site:
> http://www.regular-expressions.info/email.html
>
> Which seems to do the job reasonably well.
> Happy new year to you too!
> -Mat

thanks Mat... I got it too.. my concern is getting all adresses in one array...
It seems that I could do a scan first to replace the \r\n by a space
then doing a split on space character will give me the array
finally I'll use the regex to chexk each email address  ( I am using a
Rails plugin validates_as_email , based on RFC2822 with a possibility
to perform an online checking if needed)

Joss