On 1/3/07, Tony Muler <t_lawetta / yahoom.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> feeling quite at home now with the Ruby way of programming and
> with the Ruby language, I would be interested in some more
> internals. What happens when I call "ruby myapp.rb", i.e. how
> is the compiler/interpreter working?

http://eigenclass.org/hiki.rb?ruby+internals+guide - guide to reading
ruby sources
http://rhg.rubyforge.org/ - ruby hacking guide, translation in
progress. If you know japanese look for the original version.
some of the articles at redhanded.hobix.com

> Further, my experience in C is about nothing. I know the
> C language (yes, I even understand pointers and to a certain
> extend memory allocation), but have no experience.
> Where can I learn more about what I need to know to understand
> Ruby's C-API and how to extend Ruby with it?

Programming Ruby has a chapter on extending, and there is a readme in
the sources somewhere (readme.ext?).

> So what do you recommend reading if I want to dig deeper in
> programming?

Those sources will be helpful to see how the language is used. If you
don't understand something, look it up in a book or on the web,
eventually ask someone to explain. (I can't recall a good English book
on C now, the one I used is in Czech ;-)