Mat Schaffer <schapht / gmail.com> writes:

> On Jan 2, 2007, at 8:57 AM, Felipe Navas wrote:
>
>> I'm currently coursing my fourth year (of five) in Computer Science.
>> I can make a lot of (cool) things but my code isn't the most
>> politically correct ;)
>>
>> In academic universe people don't talk about unit-test, design
>> patterns, etc...
>> Software Engineering it's at most theoretical, not practical.
>>
>> There's something like: "Academics to Real World - What really need to
>> know but then never told you" ?
>>
>> What you'd recommend ?

In a similar vain - I'm after on-line resources, both general and Ruby
specific. One of the reasons I'm after on-line resources rather than dead tree
books is because I'm a blind programmer and on-line resources are far more
accessible for me. So far, i've gone through the Pragmatic programmers on-line
book for Ruby and I've found a few others, but always welcome more pointers to
on-line resources - books. relevant blogs, articles etc.

I found the Pragmatic Programmers book to be quite a good intro to Ruby. I've
also found some of the "Rails" stuff quite good. I'm quite impressed with the
Rails framework and very impressed with Ruby so far. In fact, I was able to get
some really useful Ruby scripts written in just my first day of using the
language, which is considerably faster than other languages I used. I've also
found Ruby fits well with the way I think about problems, so I'm quite keen to
develop my skills in this area further. (just for background, I started with C
20years ago, then a couple of years with C++, but then escaped that nightmare
and did a few years with Tcl/Tk, Perl and then Java, with a year of Prolog in
the mix. I then indulged an interest in Common Lisp, a language I still enjoy
using and a quick pass at Python, which for some reason I never warmed to.
Currently, my preferred languages are Ruby and CL, with a bit of perl for small
quick system hacks. Java is OK if you have to use it, but I find it a bit
verbose and frustrating.)

Tim
.
--