Bira wrote:
> On 1/2/07, Daniel Berger <djberg96 / gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Well, it took seven years, but I've finally been annoyed enough by
> > reports failing on national holidays to say something.  Report writers
> > know the routine:
>
> <...>
>
> The best way I know of checking for holidays is somehow keeping a
> record of which dates are holidays in a given year. It can be a
> database table, or some sort of configuration files when that isn't
> possible.
>
> This record would have to be mantained manually, but it would be just
> a simple case of editing the table/file every time you buy a new
> calendar :).

For fixed holidays, sure - I think that's what Date::Calc does (i.e.
read an external file in, base on the selected country).  But for
floating holidays I would prefer a general algorithm.  Surely someone
can come up with a general algorithm for "3rd Thursday in November",
etc.  I'll bet the Rails folks already have something, but I haven't
looked.

Regards,

Dan