On Mon, Jan 01, 2007 at 09:30:10AM +0900, Mark Woodward wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is not 'yet another recommended ruby books' question, but more a
> 'general programming' one.
>
> I often read a reference to non language specific books here and was just
> wondering what peoples favourites are.
>
> I'm asking this after reading the '... pretending to be a computer
> scientist' post and the reference to Bertrand Meyers' OO Software
> Construction. I've seen this recommended quite a few times now.
>
> So, what are some others you'd recommend to improve programming in
> general?

The books on my shelf that I have learned the most from over the years,
in the order I pulled them off my self:

    The Pragmatic Programmer                    - Dave and Andy
    Software Craftsmanship                      - Pete McBreen
    The Practice of Programming                 - Kernighan and Pike
    The Mythical Man Month                      - Frederick P. Brooks, Jr
    Programming Pearls                          - Jon Bently

    Advanced Programing in the Unix Environment - W. Richard Stevens
    UNIX Network Programming                    - W. Richard Stevens

    Alogorithms in C++                          - Robert Sedgewick
    Introduction to Algorithms                  - Coremen, Leiserson, Rivest
    Practical Algorithms for Programmers        - Binsotck and Rex
    Expert C Programming (Deep C Secrets)       - Peter Van Der Linden
        - this one has funny stories in it too :-)

    Programming with Threads                    - Kleiman, Shah, Smaalders

    Machine Learning                            - Tom M. Mitchell
    Artificial Intelligence - A modern approace - Russle and Norvig

But again, the most effective way to learn all of this is to get out
there and do it.  This really is a Craft profession and the only way to
learn a craft is Practice, Practice, Practice, and then practice some
more.

enjoy,

-jeremy

 Jeremy Hinegardner                              jeremy / hinegardner.org