------art_116614_29737090.1167649124525

On 12/31/06, Charles Oliver Nutter <charles.nutter / sun.com> wrote:

> Robert Dober wrote:
> > I guess it is very reasonable what you are saying and yet I`d wish to
> have
> > a SmallRuby, something squeakish you see. First that might really make
> the
> > difference for both languages and secondly it might as well turn out to
> be
> > faster and more agile  than YARV or JRuby (well JRuby for sure as the
> used
> > language is just faster - Smalltalk just fits better to Ruby than Java).
>
> You do know that Smalltalk, even in its fastest incarnations, is still
> slower than Java, right?

oops I stepped on your feet, did I?
Did the JVM speed up so much or is my reference rotten, I am going to look
it up when back on work.
Forgive my ignorance I should have put a question mark behind my statement
but that holds for too many a things we think to know :(
If the JVM has become that fast a Smalltalk VM should be able to become even
faster I guess.

I really dislike Java but even as biased as I am I recon JRuby must be a
hell of a project and very important for the community.
It is also my last trump when discussing Ruby with Java affacinados and it
is a very high trump.

But the motivation for JRuby holds for SmallRuby and looking at both
languages (J&S) Smalltalk seems to fit better. Now even the greates
Smalltalk fan ( and I am not ) could not immagine that a Smallruby would
ever have the usage of JRuby.

If Smalltalk will survive it will so in a niche I guess, it would be
wounderful if Ruby could exist in that niche, would it not?

And Squeak is far from being one of the fastest
> incarnations.

That I have heard too, but I did only intent to use Squeak as a FE (and BE
too buit one could use any VM).

--
> Charles Oliver Nutter, JRuby Core Developer
> Blogging on Ruby and Java @ headius.blogspot.com
> Help spec out Ruby today! @ www.headius.com/rubyspec
> headius / headius.com -- charles.nutter / sun.com
>
> Happy New Year
Robert

--
"The real romance is out ahead and yet to come. The computer revolution
hasn't started yet. Don't be misled by the enormous flow of money into bad

- Alan Kay

------art_116614_29737090.1167649124525--