------art_169009_25106413.1167560915868

I wrote some Ruby code to solve a little puzzle (
http://projecteuler.net/index.php?sectionoblems&id) that functions
correctly.  It solves for the answer and gets it right, it's just a little
slower than I would like.  So I thought I would bring out the old profiler
and see what I could do to speed things up.  Well... on the exact same code
file, no changes besides 'require "profile"' it now gives me this error:

c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/profiler.rb:13:in `hash': can't convert Hash into
Integer (TypeError)
    from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/profiler.rb:13:in `[]'
    from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/profiler.rb:13
    from C:/Documents and Settings/Tyler Prete/Desktop/Project
Euler/Problem14.rb:55:in `initialize'
    from C:/Documents and Settings/Tyler Prete/Desktop/Project
Euler/Problem14.rb:55:in `initialize'
    from C:/Documents and Settings/Tyler Prete/Desktop/Project
Euler/Problem14.rb:122:in `new'
    from C:/Documents and Settings/Tyler Prete/Desktop/Project
Euler/Problem14.rb:122:in `find'
    from C:/Documents and Settings/Tyler Prete/Desktop/Project
Euler/Problem14.rb:120:in `each'
    from C:/Documents and Settings/Tyler Prete/Desktop/Project
Euler/Problem14.rb:120:in `find'
    from C:/Documents and Settings/Tyler Prete/Desktop/Project
Euler/Problem14.rb:137

It seems like it is related to the my initialize method, but it is simple
and correct:
def initialize(num)
        @latest  um
        @sequence  @latest]
end

So I decided to abandon the standard profiler and try RubyProf instead.
Using #require 'unprof', it also keels over:

c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:33: warning:
ruby-prof: An error occured when leaving the method Kernel#require.
   Perhaps an exception occured in the code being profiled?

And using require 'ruby-prof' and putting RubyProf.start and
RubyProf.stoparound the code I would like to profile results in:

C:/Documents and Settings/Tyler Prete/Desktop/Project
Euler/Problem14.rb:122:in `initialize': undefined method `%' for
#<Hash:0x2b8b9cc> (NoMethodError)
    from C:/Documents and Settings/Tyler Prete/Desktop/Project
Euler/Problem14.rb:122:in `new'
    from C:/Documents and Settings/Tyler Prete/Desktop/Project
Euler/Problem14.rb:122:in `find'
    from C:/Documents and Settings/Tyler Prete/Desktop/Project
Euler/Problem14.rb:120:in `each'
    from C:/Documents and Settings/Tyler Prete/Desktop/Project
Euler/Problem14.rb:120:in `find'
    from C:/Documents and Settings/Tyler Prete/Desktop/Project
Euler/Problem14.rb:137

I truly have no idea what is going on here.  I've checked time and time
again, and this code works correctly without the profilers.  I've ran it
with ruby -c -w, and it results in no warnings and the code is valid.  Is
the profiler trying to do something  unusual here that I should be aware of?

Thanks for any help, it is much appreciated.
--Tyler Prete

------art_169009_25106413.1167560915868--