On Dec 30, 2006, at 11:39 AM, James Edward Gray II wrote:

> Who decides who the experts are?

Why the experts themselves, of course :) It's an old problem, isn't
it? Reminds me of Juvenal, the sixth satire: "Sed quis custodiet
ipsos custodes?" It was probably an old problem already in his day.

If the list _must_ be split, I urge the split not be made on the
basis of the poster's level of experience, but on the basis of
subject matter. I think spinning off a ruby-help list might be
generally beneficial. Those seeking help on coding or installation
problems could be more confident that they are posting to the right
list, and those who wish to avoid reading such posts could simply not
subscribe. Such a specialization would be commensurable with the
other specialized mailing lists such as ruby-core.

Regards, Morton