r wrote:
> I'm trying to work some examples (The Poignant Guide),  I can't seem to
> find any official docs on the File class,
[snip]
> It's not in ruby-doc.

Er, what specifically are you looking for? Not this?
  http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/classes/File.html

You can see this same information if you have Ruby installed locally
with "ri File".

What's (oddly) missing from those docs is that the File class inherits
from the IO class (amonge others)
  irb(main):001:0> File.ancestors
  => [File, IO, File::Constants, Enumerable, Object, Kernel]
...so when you see File.open in code, you may be confused because there
is no File.open class method documented. For those, of course, see the
IO docs (which even mention their tight association with File):
  http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/classes/IO.html

Or is there something else that you think is missing documentation?