Yukihiro Matsumoto writes:
> Hi,
>
> In message "[ruby-talk:02262] [Q]: _id2ref broken?"
>     on 00/03/30, Clemens Hintze <c.hintze / gmx.net> writes:

> These codes are basicly doing same thing.  The real difference is not
> there. but in gc_sweep().  It is for safety.

Ah so! Thanks for explanation.

> Listen, Clemens, exporting a reference from _id2name in finalizer is
> really really dangerous in current implementation.  So I prohibited.
> Your trial (calling `finalize' method of unreferenced object) is
> taking exactly this risk.  Java-like two phase GC may solve this
> problem but I'm sure it would be performance penalty.

Ouch!!! Please do not beat me too hard ;-)

I know it was risky! It was only thought as an experiment. I have not
intend to really propose it! I was only astonished, that the trick you
gave me didn't work any longer.

As you have forbid it by purpose, it is okay for me. But I have
guessed you have forbid it by accident and so ask you to reintroduce
old behavior!

So please be not too strong with me. I will not do it again ;-)))

> 							matz.

\cle

--
Clemens Hintze  mailto: c.hintze / gmx.net