Hello,

I just did a complete re-install of ruby 1.8.5-p12 and rubygems-0.9.0 and I'm getting the
old sawhorse error:

ruby: no such file to load -- ubygems (LoadError)

I've searched the newsgroup, but nothing seems to address the problem I'm having (I
think). Here's what I did:

0) rm -fr'd my "ruby" and "rubygems" installation directories in my $HOME/local (I do not
have root access to the computer in question). Also unset RUBYOPT.

ruby install
------------
1) Installed ruby 1.8.5-p12. No problems
2) Modified my login script with:
      export PATH=$PATH:${HOME}/local/ruby/bin
    ruby and irb run fine.

rubygems install
----------------
3) Specified where I want gems to actually go,
      export GEM_HOME=${HOME}/local/rubygemrepository
4) ruby setup.rb config --prefix=${HOME}/local/rubygems
5) ruby setup.rb setup
6) ruby setup.rb install
      Successfully built RubyGem
      Name: sources
      Version: 0.0.1
      File: sources-0.0.1.gem
7) In login script added
      export GEM_HOME=${HOME}/local/rubygemrepository
      export PATH=$PATH:${HOME}/local/rubygems/bin
    and
      export RUBYOPT="rubygems"

Now I want to install a gem (Bil Kleb's funit) and I did:

    gem install funit

and got the error:

    ruby: no such file to load -- ubygems (LoadError)

And, of course, ruby and irb no longer work either (same error).

O.k., so what did I do wrong? *After* I installed rubygems I set the RUBYOPT envar. But,
ruby can't seem to find anything rubygem related.

Is there some other magical envar that I need to set so that ruby and rubygems play nice?

Or should I install rubygem "inside" my ruby install? In:
   ${HOME}/local/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/i686-linux ?
or
   ${HOME}/local/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby
or
   ??

I followed the notes I made last time I did this[*] and it worked then, so I've screwed
something up somewhere; I just don't know what.

Any help/info appreciated.

cheers,

paulv

[*] Said notes being a little sketchy, hence my starting from scratch effort.

--
Paul van Delst             Ride lots.
CIMSS @ NOAA/NCEP/EMC               Eddy Merckx