On Dec 28, 2006, at 14:39, Wim Vander Schelden wrote:
> Eric Hodel wrote:
>> On Dec 28, 2006, at 13:45, Wim Vander Schelden wrote:
>>
>>> I was able to fix the problem by changing my extconf.rb to:
>>>
>>> However, I don't know *WHY* it works. The pkg_config seems to be
>>> the crucial line.
>>> I just went through other people's extconf.rb files and guessed
>>> the "sdl" value.
>>> Any help would be appreciated, since there seems to be no
>>> documentation about
>>> pkg_config...
>>
>> $ ruby extconf.rb
>> checking for SDL_Init() in -lSDL... no
>> checking for SDL/SDL.h... no
>> creating Makefile
>> $
>>
>> You should never call create_makefile makefile when required
>> libraries and headers can't be found.
>
> Ok thanks :) Could you also explain what these methods do exactly?

>    require 'mkmf'
>
>    dir_config('gamer')

dunno

>    have_library("SDL", "SDL_Init")

Do we have an SDL_Init() declared in libSDL.so (platform dependent)?
Returns true or false if it was found or not.   Check the return
value and abort if false and you need this library.

>    have_header("SDL/SDL.h")

Do we have an SDL/SDL.h file lying around somewhere?  Returns true or
false if it was found or not.  Check the return value and abort if
false and you need this library.

>    pkg_config("sdl")

dunno

>    create_makefile('gamer')

creates a Makefile that will build gamer.so

I LIT YOUR GEM ON FIRE!