On Dec 27, 2006, at 5:46 AM, mekondelta wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to Ruby but am fairly experience in using TDD with Java and am
> having some problems in converting my knowledge over.
>
> I'm using the Eclipse Ruby plug-in and want so organise my test
> source and
> code source files separately as I do in Java.  While I have found some
> tutorials on Ruby and they have been helpful, I have found nothing
> on TDD
> with Ruby. Can someone point me to a small-sized ruby project that
> I could
> download and examine which shows how a well-organised Ruby project
> should
> look? The things I am looking for are:-
>  - Best practice in terms of code style eg variable/class naming etc
>  - interaction between class files
>  - tests in separate folders to source
>  - ant build script?
>
> Ideally a tutorial would be available but I'm sure the above is
> available
> somewhere but I can't find it!
>
> Any help greatly appreciated so that I can learn Ruby the right way
> from the
> start!

I seem to remember a project that was working on this.  Basically it
would build a nice structure that allowed for TDD pretty simply.  But
I can't find it at the moment.  Maybe someone on the list remembers.

If you're building libraries the structure for setup.rb is the standard:
http://i.loveruby.net/en/projects/setup/doc/devel.html

Rails is another option you might consider.  I've taken to using
Rails for my CLI projects as well because it buys you a full TDD
framework + ORM right out of the gate.  You can delete some of the
cruft (app/views, app/controllers, for example) if you don't need it
for your project.

Hope that helps some.
-Mat