------art_26822_1479528.1166694166255

On 12/20/06, Geoff <Geoff / domain.is.invalid> wrote:

> On 2006-12-19, Eric Hodel <drbrain / segment7.net> wrote:
> > On Dec 18, 2006, at 18:50, Trans wrote:
> >
> >> seems like there's been a steady drop off in experienced ruby users on
> >> the list. is it me or has there really been some sort of migration
> >> away?
> >
> > In the back-channels I've heard the following reasons for why long-
> > time readers of ruby-talk cut back:
> >
> > a) signal:noise ratio too low.
> > b) belligerent newbies.
> >

> I've been reading quite a bit about these properties of online
> communities lately.  There's a lot of material worth looking into if you
> happen to have a bit of a deeper interest, like:
>
> Clay Shirky's "A Group is it's Own Worst Enemy"
> http://shirky.com/writings/group_enemy.html
>
> Clay Shirky's "Group as User: Flaming and the Design of Social Software"
> http://www.shirky.com/writings/group_user.html
>
> Kathy Sierra's "How to Build a User Community: Part 1"
> http://headrush.typepad.com/creating_passionate_users/2006/12/
> how_to_build_a_.html
>
> Oh, and I'm definitely a Ruby newb myself, but I'm learning, and this
> mailing-list/Usenet-newsgroup/forum has proven a fantastic learning
> resource.  I hope that, one way or another, that continues to be the
> case.
>
> Geoff.
>

> Thx Geoff I also feel that this still is a great list but
(1) I have learned to think twice before discarding Tom's POVs
and
(2) it might be *now* that we have to worry about keeping it like this
Cheers

"The real romance is out ahead and yet to come. The computer revolution
hasn't started yet. Don't be misled by the enormous flow of money into bad
defacto standards for unsophisticated buyers using poor adaptations of
incomplete ideas."

- Alan Kay

------art_26822_1479528.1166694166255--