On Dec 17, 11:17 pm, "Richard"
<RichardDummyMailbox58... / USComputerGurus.com> wrote:
> The app structure I outlined, Firefox+Ruby+Rails+WEBrick+MySQL, all
> runs on the client's machine (except for the database server).  The
> user machine(s) need not be connected to the Internet, though it/they
> needs a LAN connection to a database server.  So everything except the
> data-store is "client-side".

OK, I've been skimming this thread the last few days, and I'm surprised
no one else has asked the obvious question here (if someone did and I
missed it, I apologize)...

/Why/ in the world would you write a web app with RoR to be run locally
on several users' machines that connects to one central database? I
hate to be blunt, but that's just kinda dumb.

Considering you already need a central server to run the database on,
just run the web app from a central server as well. Then all these
questions about upgrading the app on the users' machines, who should
run `rake db:migrate`, etc. kinda take care of themselves.

--
Regards,

John Wilger
http://johnwilger.com