Vivek wrote:
>   I am trying to install ruby-shout(used to serve audio to icecast
> server) .I have libshout,vorbis and liboggz
> But I get this error
>
> ERROR:  While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
>     ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
> Gem files will remain installed in
> /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-shout-2.1 fo
> r inspection.
>

> Results logged to
> /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-shout-2.1/ext/gem_make.out
>
> I am not sure what the "failed to build native extension " means.

That means the ruby-shout gem comes with some C code. The gem
installation was trying to compile that C code but the compilation
failed for some reason. That reason is shown in that gem_make.out log
file.

Usually the problem is that you're missing some C libraries. In some
GNU/Linux distros, it's common that you're missing a C compiler
altogether because it's not installed by default.