>>> This is why many times there will be "xxx-talk" (or "xxx-users") and
>>> "xxx-newbie" lists.  I think perhaps Ruby has reached that "critical
>>> mass" point where this split is in order (even though i'm sure this
>>> has been discussed a number of times and decided against).
>>
>> I was on perl-beginners for years.  When I came to the Ruby community
>> I asked for the equivalent, but many members felt it wasn't needed or
>> even desired.  While I think I came around to their point of view
>> over time, I'm not sure it still holds.
>>

> In addition to the newbie/guru split, there is also the possibility of
> a core/user split. The core list would be for discussions relating to
> the current and future status of the Ruby language itself, the core
> libraries, and more theoretical questions. The user list would be for
> discussions about 3rd party libraries, installation problems, and
> IDEs. =)
>
> This split has the benefit of not making anyone feel like a newb,
> while still creating a separate area for hard core Rubyists to talk
> about serious issues without all the noise.
>
> Tom
I'm a newbie (to Ruby, and also to mailing lists somehow). What about
the following:
There would be two lists: one newbies, and one "guru". Each message sent
to one is also sent to the other, but with a tag: Like [NEWBIES] and [GURU].
It has the advantage that the lists are not really split, and the choice
is let to each one to choose if she wants to read or not the newbies or
guru messages.
I'm not sure it's really different from the standard two separate lists
though...

Julien