On Dec 19, 2006, at 7:52 AM, Jeremy McAnally wrote:

> This is why many times there will be "xxx-talk" (or "xxx-users") and
> "xxx-newbie" lists.  I think perhaps Ruby has reached that "critical
> mass" point where this split is in order (even though i'm sure this
> has been discussed a number of times and decided against).

I was on perl-beginners for years.  When I came to the Ruby community
I asked for the equivalent, but many members felt it wasn't needed or
even desired.  While I think I came around to their point of view
over time, I'm not sure it still holds.

> Though, many would probably argue that "no experienced programmer
> would visit the newbie list."

I've seen this argument multiple times, but it certainly doesn't hold
true in the Perl community.  See perl-beginners and Perl Monks.
Plenty of knowledgeable help on both.  I enjoy helping others and
stayed on the list to do so when I was past the beginner stage, as
just one example.

> To make this whole thing effective, though, the residents of this list
> would have to be stringent about telling people to "take it to the
> newbies" if their question is something that belongs there.

Now this I don't feel is needed or desired.  I don't think we want to
start turning anyone away, period.  There's no reason questions can't
still be answered here.  There would just be a new resource, with a
comfortable beginner's environment.  (I do feel it should be
moderated, though I realize many view that as a sin.)

> P.S. - It would also be mildly entertaining to have an auto-answer FAQ
> bot that parsed the language of a message and if it could decently
> figure out what they're saying, post an answer pointing  to a
> (currently non-existent) Ruby FAQ...

As has been pointed out, we do have an FAQ.

I feel a bot like this hurts the community interaction.  Answers are
best let to the users, in my opinion.

James Edward Gray II