M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> So ... right now my "Ruby IDE" is a Linux desktop (Windowmaker, if that
> matters), with a bunch of XTerms running vim (with Ruby syntax
> highlighting), an XTerm running irb, a Firefox window, an Acroread
> window and of course rake, rspec and soon hoe, ZenTest and some other
> tools. Version control is either CVS or SVN. It works fine for the
> little things I do, although one of the projects I'm working on is
> probably too big for that. But then, that project *is* in a very real
> sense an IDE. :)

You might want to try VimMate (http://vimmate.rubyforge.org/). It adds
the most useful IDE features to Vim -- namely a file-system browser with
optional SVN integration.

Also, speaking of having multiple XTerms open, it must be annoying to
manually arrange your windows and switch back and forth between them
(when they overlap). Have a look at Tiling Window Managers, such as wmii
(see http://wmii.suckless.org/ and
http://eigenclass.org/hiki.rb?wmii+ruby), sometime. I've been using wmii
for the past two years and I absolutely love it.