------art_109_292289.1166347292444

(...)
> A form of all the classes with Enumerable mixed in (hash, array, etc)
> where all the methods like select return not the values that were
> selected but an object that contains a reference back to the index of
> the array where it was stored.

> This would allow things like:
> ary  4, nil, 6, nil]
> ary.select{|x| x.nil?}[1].set(2)
> ary # [4, nil, 6, 2]

> As it is now, the above wouldn't work because select returns an array of
> values from the array, so calling set only changes the value in the
> array that was created by set.

Wow, I was *just about* going to suggest the very same thing, using the
indices
instead of the values is necessary quite frequently (at least I find it is
so). The
name of the method ought to be a bit informative:

indices_with
indices_such
indices_having
select_indices

I think.

I really think this is useful enough to be included in the language.

Thanks for the suggestion and eager to help if necessary,

Pedro

--
Pedro Fortuny Ayuso
C/Capuchinos 14, 1. 47006 Valladolid. SPAIN

------art_109_292289.1166347292444--