At the risk of being a spoiler (hint: don't go to the linked
Wikipedia article), the position 960 can also be called position 0:

      The accurate sequence of White's Chess960 starting array
      could be derived from its number as follows:
      a) Divide the number by 960, determine the

         remainder (0 ... 959) and use that number

         thereafter.

-Rob

On Dec 16, 2006, at 10:57 AM, Daniel Finnie wrote:

> Yeah, that was my typo.
>
> I made my program 0 based because that is what most of the things
> online seem to use, but that doesn't make it correct.
>
> Dan
>
> James Edward Gray II wrote:
>> 0-959 was not an option in Daniel's email (look again) and I'm
>> confident of Ruby's ability to count to 960.  ;)
>> James Edward Gray II

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess960_Enumbering_Scheme

Rob / AgileConsultingLLC.com