On Dec 16, 2006, at 12:07 AM, James Edward Gray II wrote:

> On Dec 15, 2006, at 9:25 PM, Daniel Finnie wrote:
>
>> Also, is the range of the numbers 0-956 or 1-960?  I've seen
>> things saying that both are acceptable with no definitive answer.
>
> Ask Ruby.

I don't see how the Ruby interpreter can answer this question. How
the starting positions are to be numbered is a problem-domain-
specific issue. The interpreter knows nothing about the problem domain.

Ruby arrays being zero-based might make the range 0..959 more
convenient to use, but this certainly doesn't preclude the 1..960
numbering scheme from being adopted.

Regards, Morton