On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, David Simmons wrote:

> Hi folks.

Hi,

> ====
>
> Ideally the easiest way to support Ruby on the SmallScript VM would be if
> Ruby's lexer/parser was written in Ruby. This would enable bootstrapping in
> a farily straightforward manner. I.e., I would simply load the SmallScript
> VM [which is a shared-library] directly into a running Ruby application and
> use the parse tree representation of the parser itself to bootstrap with.
>
> Lacking that, a lexer/parser would need to be written as a small standalone
> piece of code in C/C++/SmallScript [something that can be put into a
> shared-library].
> ====

I'm planning for a RubyOnAos as it is very relevant to RubyVM. Reasons
are:
  1. Learn what can be acheived with a highly optimized/evolved VM from
     the Smalltalk community, should give good indications of what kind of
     performance can be acheived for Ruby,
  2. Get an alternative implementation vehicle for Ruby experiments,
     especially in the areas of reflection/MOP, multi-method dispatch
     (where AOS VM seems strong).

But if this can be done in collaboration with David it would be great. Or
do you plan to support Ruby anyhow, David?

Regards,

Robert Feldt