On Dec 15, 2006, at 12:56, Giles Bowkett wrote:
>> > Devin's solution gave me everything my app was using at the moment
>> > I ran the command, but missed things which were used in the app but
>> > not yet loaded.
>>
>> I don't see how you could possibly expect to know what files would be
>> loaded by your program in the future.
>
> Well, that's the challenge, isn't it? It's only when you start to hack
> time-travel knowledge discovery problems that you discover how truly
> astounding Ruby's dynamicity is.
>
> Seriously a human can do it just by looking at the source.

Not accurately.  Load path manipulation or require order may cause
files to be loaded  or not loaded contrary to your expectations.
Files may have been orphaned by the author, or your code may not need
certain files, so they won't be required.

> There were image magick things in there, they weren't caught by
> checking all gems
> currently in use. Maybe because the code lives in a plugins dir and
> wasn't invoked yet? I don't know.

Which is why human inspection doesn't work.

I LIT YOUR GEM ON FIRE!