"Phil Tomson" <ptkwt / shell1.aracnet.com> wrote in message
news:N%KA7.115365$DY1.4131031 / sjcpnn01.usenetserver.com...
> In article <NDBBKPEKEKOELOHKPCNOCEDNCHAA.rich / infoether.com>,
> Rich Kilmer <rich / infoether.com> wrote:

Hi folks.

The SmallScript VM (AOS Platform) will be free.

It is just about to be released in a technology preview seeding for Win32.

The Linux/FreeBSD and MacOSX versions are under development.

The Microsoft.NET cross-jitter and VisualStudio.NET integrated elements will
be sold commercially. However, they are not required for any platform other
than to enable compiling code to the .NET platform so it will run natively
within the .NET VM.
====

Ideally the easiest way to support Ruby on the SmallScript VM would be if
Ruby's lexer/parser was written in Ruby. This would enable bootstrapping in
a farily straightforward manner. I.e., I would simply load the SmallScript
VM [which is a shared-library] directly into a running Ruby application and
use the parse tree representation of the parser itself to bootstrap with.

Lacking that, a lexer/parser would need to be written as a small standalone
piece of code in C/C++/SmallScript [something that can be put into a
shared-library].
====

Based on my discussions with Matz at the Ruby conference it sounds like
there are no "technical" barriers to supporting Ruby. I can't speak to the
OpenSource community issues. But a second Ruby implementation being
available [in any form] wouldn't hurt would it?

-- Dave S. [www.smallscript.org]