ara.t.howard / noaa.gov wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Dec 2006, Nathan Baker wrote:
>

>> * How are you suggesting we use mmap to solve this problem? If there is a
>> way that we could just take all the data in one big binary chunk,
>> represent
>> it with a string, and send it over the wire, that would be excellent.
>> However, again it seems to me that pointers provide a problem.
>
> the is no automatic solution for c serializtion.  you have to code that
> your
> self.  you have to setup code to marshal and un-marshal your object and
> it has
> to be custom.  the data send part, however, can be dealt with fairly
> easily.

You can use the ASN.1 compilers to create serializers and deserializers
for your C data. The open source ASN.1 compiler at
http://lionet.info/asn1c can serialize C stuff into XML, which is
probably the easiest way for ruby to subsequently handle. Pointers,
arrays and other data structures are supported.

--
vlm