Hi --

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006, Kevin wrote:

> I run one of examples of Programming Ruby, code as follows:
> ------------
> class Sone
> end
>
> song = Sone.new(.., .., ..)
> song.inspect
> song.to_s
> -----------
> why I can't see output? where is output of inspect and to_s ?
> It outputs to somewhere else? IO object ?

inspect and to_s just produce strings.  To see them, you have to print
them :-)  In fact, there are some handy methods for this:

   p song     # automatically calls inspect
   puts song  # automatically calls to_s

Also, if you are working in irb (the interactive Ruby terminal),
you'll see the value of every expression you type in.  So in irb, if
your expression evaluates to a string, you'll see the string without
having to explicitly ask for it to be printed.

David

--
Q. What's a good holiday present for the serious Rails developer?
    aka The Ruby book for Rails developers!