On 13 Dec 2006, at 17:35, Paul Lutus wrote:
> Is this what you mean? Can you extrapolate this way of approaching the
> problem to solve your own?

I was able to. I had not understood that scan and gsub work
differently when capturing takes place. Scan seems to have more
sensible behaviour. I would like gsub's block or second parameter to
provide an array, and for this to replace the captured parts of the
regexp, so:

would return:

	"AxB"

gsub doesn't behave like this, but I imagine it would be possible to
build a gsub like function that did. :) It would probably need to
inspect the regular expression given to it with a regular expression.

Thanks everyone,
	Benjohn