Robert Feldt wrote:

> I think the concept of RuEdit is very cool but somehow feel it might take
> some time before it will support the stuff I routinely use (auto-indent,
> syntax color highlighting, dabbrev-expand, ...)

Those who experienced the AmigaDOS shareware editor UEdit would have far
less patience with vi.

In that editor, things you do most often (such as skip-to-end of next
word) bound to the simplest easiest keys (such as <Right>). The default
configuration had no modes.

Further, for those bound to their muscle-memory, UEdit had alternative
configurations that simulated most popular editors, such as Brief,
WordPerfect, CUA and vi. You'd be hard-pressed to simulate default UEdit
with any of those editors.

You could write new UEdit keystrokes so easily because all the features
needed in keystrokes were available as high-level commands. You
addressed items such as the current selection as what we would call
"objects" (even though UEdit Script was procedural and harshly
primitive).

How RuEdit will get there from here is called "OnceAndOnlyOnce". As I
add commands to RuEdit I will inspect the configuration file for
duplicated code, and I will graduate examples of it into reusable
facilities written inside the source file, below the level of the
configuration.

To address your concern, the longer I develop RuEdit the easier it will
be to add very high-level commands to it, even things nobody ever
thought of yet.

> and it doesn't work very
> well on Windows machines.

I must bond early to either GTK or Tk. I'm unsure what my rationale was
or if it was correct, but exceeding GEdit's feature set is a near-term
goal.

--
Phlip

http://www.greencheese.org/ParodyMode