On 12/13/06, Ross Bamford <rosco / roscopeco.remove.co.uk> wrote:
> I read a little about this, but it seemed to me at the time like a
> solution in search of a problem. I did have some problems with VC 8, in
> that nothing would work unless I copied some .dll files out from
> /windows/sxs to /windows/system32. After that I still had nothing working,
> but at least there was a useful error message (about some application
> trying to initialize the runtime incorrectly).
>
> I don't suppose you have a link that describes these manifests in more
> detail?

I don't have a link. I just googled and then didn't save the link.
Anyway, the technology is called Side by side, and there is a special
file that you can install that will get rid of the problem... I
believe it's this one: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
8\SDK\v2.0\BootStrapper\Packages\vcredist_x86\vcredist_x86.exe" but
I'm not sure.

> Ahh, ok - I'd not realised this. So assuming I make provisions to generate
> a correct makefile, I could compile for both testing and ready-made binary
> downloads using mingw, and they'd run fine against the one-click? Is there
> an easy way to generate a suitable makefile from the one-click's ruby, or
> is it just a case of changing the Config::MAKEFILE_CONFIG to suit?

I don't know.

> Okay, cool. So if I target the one-click, presumably I'll be targetting
> the vast majority of windows users. Those who compile their own ruby on
> Win32 (do people actually do this? I was unable to use VS 8 even if I
> compiled a ruby with it, since the resulting ruby didn't seem to want to
> work..).

I somehow managed to compile ruby with VS8, although I didn't test it too much.

For more information, you might look up Curt Hibbs', Austin Ziegler's
and Dan Berger's posts as they seem to know the most about win
compilation here ;-)

J.