Li Chen wrote:

> Paul Lutus wrote:
>> Basically, in VBA, "dim" causes a variable to be declared and associated
>> with a predefined data type or class.
>
> In Ruby def is a breviation for the word define and what is the full
> name for dim in VBA? I want to know it just out of curiocity. I don't
> pay much attention to VBA but when I use WIN32OLE for Excel automation I
> would like to know a little more.

It was originally an abbreviation for "dimension", a term that was only
approximately related to its actual function. Think of "dimension" as a
verb and you will get some idea what the originators had in mind.

Also, it is important to add that "dimension" was originally meant to create
an array that might have more than one "dimension".

http://sip.clarku.edu/tutorials/True_BASIC.html

"Arrays are defined in a DIM statement and the total number of elements of
an array is given in parentheses."

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.arachnoid.com