On Dec 13, 2006, at 4:02 PM, Drew Olson wrote:

> Based on a previous thread, I gave FasterCSV a try and I've been very
> impressed with the performance increases. However, something about the
> syntax for writing to a file bothers me. Is there any way to create a
> "writer object" to write to a file? For example, this is how I'm
> currently using FasterCSV:
>
> FCSV.open(my_file,"w") do |out|
>   out << my_data
> end
>
> What I'd like to do is something along the lines of:
>
> out = FCSV.open(my_file,"w")
> out << my_data
> out.close
>
> Is this functionality present?

Sure.  Should work just fine.  (File a bug if it doesn't!)

Just FYI though, the first example is very idiomatic Ruby.  We would
always rather let the language clean up after us than to have to
remember to do it ourselves.  That's why you see this construct all
over Ruby even with normal File writes.

James Edward Gray II