Simple question, i come from a C/++ background and i'm just really
starting to get "real things done with ruby" ( that should be a book
title). Anyway as i start writing methods that return objects and
variables and take objects and variables i've started to wonder how they
actually get passed around. I haven't found a specific pointer or
reference type construction, although since everything i've tried to do
has worked i've not tried very hard.

I'm guessing that everything gets passed around by reference? Is that
true? Also what about situations where you'd really want to use a
pointer, like referring to huge things or ,god forbid, doing grimy
things with arrays. It is very nice having all these things automated,
like the garbage collection etc, but i still find myself wanting to free
things. I've only just gotten over wanting to semi-colon every statement.

Probably by asking this i'm showing how i really haven't groked ruby at
all. I'm happy to admit that.

Thanks