--------------enigD1CA7F7391BA60FABE2C632B

ara.t.howard / noaa.gov wrote:
>> How are you launching that process?
>>
>> system() or `` are Bad Ideas, IO.popen should do what you need.
>=20
> why would say that?  IO.popen and more than one thread is a disaster on=

> windows: if the parent doesn't read from the process fast enough one
> will end
> up with deadlock.
>=20

I made (unconsciously) a guess that it's a fire-and-forget subprocess,
the simpler case why it would be necessary that it doesn't block the
parent. Seems (from the later followup) I guessed right, but thanks for
bringing that point up for cases when it isn't, I'm admittedly flaky
when it comes to process synchronisation.

David Vallner