On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Benoit Cerrina wrote:

> > That's all very interesting, but a lot to take in :-).  Does anyone
> > perhaps have some examples of useful scripts they've written?
> >
> > I'm a huge vim fan and being able to script it with ruby would be
> > fantastic, but, as usual, it's a little hard to get into these things
> > without some good examples.
>
> unfortunately I don't know that there are that many, recently on the
> vim list I've been advocating using other scripting languages than
> the default VIML which is excruciatingly slow.  I also have been
> exploring the use of perl as a VIM scripting language since it is
> more widely available.  One thing I'm afraid of will be the overhead
> of ruby.  The best reason I could find to use perl instead of VIM was
> for speed and functionality.  I personaly really dislike writing perl
> and love writing ruby but for all the nice ruby features, it is still a lot
> slower than perl and less available so I think that I'll stick with perl
> for now and eventually python when perls incredibly painfull handling
> of objects and data structures will start making me sick (just about
> now) but I'll have to learn it after spending first.
> Benoit

I'd also appreciate if someone could post some examples of how Ruby
can be used to script/customize Vim? What things can you control? Please
expand my horizons!

I think the concept of RuEdit is very cool but somehow feel it might take
some time before it will support the stuff I routinely use (auto-indent,
syntax color highlighting, dabbrev-expand, ...) and it doesn't work very
well on Windows machines.

I'm a long-time emacs user but if I could use Ruby instead of elisp I
might consider changing editor... ;-) (Well maybe not, but we all try to
be pragmatic and try new things, eh? :))

Thanks,

Robert