> Well...  I'm not sure if a database is the right way to 'log' virus
> occurances, but I try to be helpful.  :P

My customer is running a ftp-server with about 6.000 accounts. we
need to log all activities concerning the ftp-server. uploads,
downloads, virus occurences etc.... there are about 10.000 new
entries in the database each day.

they will be used for statistics.

each day my customer will get an email with some points:

Total logins/unique users
Total uploads
MB transfered
found viruses

So I think it's useful to use a database to store alle the
information and run the statistic-queries.

My knowledga about databases is very poor.

Any other suggestions?

I was not sure how to handle this with ruby/ror because I'am (I
was!!!) a php man and it's the first project I want to do with ruby.
These are my first lines od ruby code - and I want to make it good.

Thanx