> That's all very interesting, but a lot to take in :-).  Does anyone
> perhaps have some examples of useful scripts they've written?
>
> I'm a huge vim fan and being able to script it with ruby would be
> fantastic, but, as usual, it's a little hard to get into these things
> without some good examples.

unfortunately I don't know that there are that many, recently on the
vim list I've been advocating using other scripting languages than
the default VIML which is excruciatingly slow.  I also have been
exploring the use of perl as a VIM scripting language since it is
more widely available.  One thing I'm afraid of will be the overhead
of ruby.  The best reason I could find to use perl instead of VIM was
for speed and functionality.  I personaly really dislike writing perl
and love writing ruby but for all the nice ruby features, it is still a lot
slower than perl and less available so I think that I'll stick with perl
for now and eventually python when perls incredibly painfull handling
of objects and data structures will start making me sick (just about
now) but I'll have to learn it after spending first.
Benoit