Hi everybody,

Like other people on the list, I'm new to Ruby, and I'm quite pleased with
the "feel" of it.  I'm familiar with the concepts of OOP through Smalltalk
and C++, although I haven't actually written a lot of OO code.

I'm writing methods to translate between ASCII and FIO-DEC (a charcter set
used on the PDP-1, in the early 1960's).  Right now I'm worrying about the
algorithms, since FIO-DEC uses case-shifts like the 5-bit Murray code or
some of the modern Asian codes, but eventually I will want to use my methods
in a larger program.

And that leads up to my question.  I can imagine a "FIO-DEC IO" class that's
just like the ordinary IO except that it also translates.  Is there a simple
way to actually express that in Ruby?  Hopefully the new translation code
wouldn't have to worry about the implementation of the existing code; there
would be a small number of new methods to write; and only the class names
would have to be changed in the callers.

Unfortunately I suspect that the OO "is-a" relationship is too strict to be
relied on here.  It would be nice if I could change the putc and getc
methods and have puts and gets automatically change, or have I/O from/to
strings work as easily as I/O from/to files, but that doesn't mean it's
going to happen.

Thanks for any insight,

-- Derek